How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37395
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed security benefits at 62 on February of this year. Is

Customer Question

I filed for social security benefits at 62 on February of this year. Is there a way to reverse that decision to allow me to file later increased benefits? Can I just pay back money received to do this? Can I manage to change to 'file & suspend' to get higher benefits before the new 2 year federal budget is effective in 6 months?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, there is a way for you to undo what has been done but you must act quickly. As you have already filed for your benefits, you cannot file and suspend. Anyway, you cannot file and suspend unless you are at least 66 years old.

And, while you cannot simply suspend your benefit to get the increase obtained by waiting to full retirement age, because you have been receiving your benefits for less than one year, you can terminate your benefits, pay back all of the benefits that they have paid to you up until now, and then your benefits will continue to increase as if you had never applied in the first place. This will allow you to collect your full retirement benefit at age 66, or as much as 32% more than that if you choose to wait until age 70 to start back up your benefits.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,