How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is my 8 yr old grandchild eligible benefits? s mother is a

Customer Question

Is my 8 yr old grandchild eligible for SSI benefits? His mother is a single parent with a minimum wage income and he has been diagnosed with ADHD and is currently taking medication. He is on Medicaid and is being followed regularly by a Psychiatrist and mental health counselor.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As a general rule, not all children with ADHD, especially of it is under reasonable control through medication will be deemed disabled under social security regulations and therefore eligible for SSI benefits.

However, some children with ADHD are in fact eligible because of the severity of their disease.

This is a determination best made by the child's treating physician based on the guidelines of social security. SSI defined disability for a child using the following guidelines:

1. The child has a physical or mental condition or conditions that can be medically proven and which result in marked and severe functional limitations;

2. The child's medically proven physical or mental condition or conditions must last or be expected to last at least 12 months or be expected to result in death.

To apply on behalf of a child for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits, you need to submit information about the child's medical conditions, medical records, education, and work history and contact Social Security to complete an application for SSI benefits.

Here is a link to the social security site where the child's parent can make the application for SSI"

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,