How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I file and suspend at 63 if my wife does not claim on my

Customer Question

Can I file and suspend at 63 if my wife does not claim on my benefits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What would be your reason for filing and suspending at age 63?

2. What is it that you are trying to accomplish?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In case of an emergency, would i be able to retroactively collect unpaid suspended benefits?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

As a rule, if you are under 66, no, you can not seek retroactive benefits---emergency or not. You may only collect retroactive benefits if you are over full retirement age (66) and the retroactive period is limited to 6 months.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,


Related Social Security Questions