How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4676
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have to give my wife $2000 a month the rest of my life. As

Customer Question

I have to give my wife $2000 a month the rest of my life. As well as she receives 1/2 of my intellectual property rights during ourc24 years marriage. I retired this year and my income is substantially lower. But my wife still get $2000 from me as well as her portion of SS. © so when most people retire, they take a pay cut. So can my $2000 I pay my ex be reduced she now gets $1200 SS based on my working .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Separation and divorce agreements are based on negotiation, and the facts and forecasts available at the time. Since you have an arrangement in place, but times have changed, consider changing the arrangement. That likely means attorneys and court, but it can be done.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Divorces include social security benefits when determining maintenance and child support, so a visit to a divorce attorney to ask about revising your agreement is your next step.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. Please use the rating scale below. I'm PDtax.