How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Dad retired from the Cincinnati Fire Dept in January 1986

Customer Question

My Dad retired from the Cincinnati Fire Dept in January 1986 and receives a pension from the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund. My Dad applied for Social Security in 1995 and only receives a small portion (487.00) in SS benefits. My Dad was penalized 20% of his benefit from SS, due to his other pension. A friend of ours also was penalized and had it corrected at the SS Office. We have been to 2 SS Offices and was given 2 different answers as to why he receives such a small amount of SS, as he has paid into SS for many years working different jobs. Can you help me find the correct answer to this problem.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

Unless you Dad has worked for over ten years in a non governmental job, his government pension offsets most of his SS benefits. As a result, he would only be entitled o $487. Likewise, if he worked over ten years for a non governmental entity, the $487 would be adjusted upward based on the years he worked in non government vs. government.