Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 65 still working with medical insurance at work. Do I

Customer Question

I am 65 still working with medical insurance at work. Do I have to sign up for Medicare now or can i wait?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, if your employer provided group health insurance coverage is considered "creditable coverage", then you can delay Medicare without concern for a later premium penalty from Medicare. The Employer has to provide a certificate to you confirming the benefits constitute creditable coverage that you should file away. WHen it is time for you to apply for Medicare Part B, you can prove you are not subject to the penalty.

Note that Part A is free so you may wish to take it NOW.

Also, there may another consideration. Not an SSA/Medicare rule, but an agreement in your insurance policy with your employer - many such policies require you DO sign up for Medicare as soon as eligible, as the employer policy will be secondary, and Medicare will be Primary (that is so the carrier saves money, obviously and the premiums are cheaper for the employer). So you will want to inquire of your HR or employer in that regard: You don't want to find that not taking Medicare leaves you without a primary.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional