How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired teacher from COPERA which offsets my personal

Customer Question

I am a retired teacher from COPERA which offsets my personal SS entitlement due to WEP.
I am also,entitled to my ex-husband's benefits. How can I get them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question

On your ex husband's benefits -- you would be subject to the Government Pension Offset meaning that your benefit would be reduced by 2/3 of your COPERA benefit. If 2/3 of your COPERA benefit is greater than what you would receive as an ex spouse, then you would not get any benefit. It's rare to get more as an ex spouse than you would for WEP

I wish I had better news for you.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.