How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 38 years old when he was 4 years old s mother, we

Customer Question

My son is 38 years old when he was 4 years old his mother, we were divorced at that time was able to collect social security in his name until he was 18years old. Social Security is making him pay them back. They have been garnishing his tax return plus he has 4 children they will not let him claim them for dependents. What do you think
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

What is the reason he is paying them back? What do they say the reason is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Per my son they don't need reason his social security # ***** responsibility
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

They have to have a reason why they are doing the overpayment -- why was he paid? Was he ineligible? While he is responsible for his social security number -- you need to understand the situation so that you can try to work through a solution with social security. You can request a waiver of the overpayment if the reason was not caused by him and it is creating a hardship for him to continue to pay

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.