Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My husband is 5 years younger than me. We have both worked

Customer Question

My husband is 5 years younger than me. We have both worked and he would receive only slightly more than I would for the social security benefit. Can we both file separately and if he should pass away I could receive his benefit which is higher? I would file at full retirement age and he would file at his full retirement age when I am 71 years old.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this helps. I am 59 years told and my husband is 54 years old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should clarify further. We will both file for SS at full retirement age (66 years 4 months for me ) and 67 years for my husband.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be 72 when my husband applies for SS.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, with regard to your post:

"My husband is 5 years younger than me. We have both worked and he would receive only slightly more than I would for the social security benefit. Can we both file separately -------- Yes.

"and if he should pass away I could receive his benefit which is higher? -------- Yes, you can and must apply for it though, it is not automatic.

"I would file at full retirement age and he would file at his full retirement age when I am 71 years old. " --------- That is fine. If you you are under your full retirement age, when you apply for survivor, you do not get 100% of his amount, but as low as 71% (if age 60). If you are at least FRA, then it would be 100%. And, if he hadn't started collecting at 67 but delayed tll 70, he would grow his amount by at least 24%, and you as survivor get that if you opt for survivor instead of your own.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional