How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15711
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have never paid into the system, I am 50 years old and

Customer Question

I have never paid into the system, I am 50 years old and have been self employed for years. How do I get into the system
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


If you a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico, generally, you must file a Puerto Rico tax return. A sole proprietor is someone who owns an unincorporated business.

Puerto Rico Bona Fide Residents need to file a 482 Puerto Rico Income Tax Return or482 Puerto Rico Income Tax Return (Option 94), along with the type of Schedule that fits your particular business activity.

Puerto Rico Income Tax Returns are due April 15 of every year.

You will pay Self Employment tax on your earnings (after your expenses). This counts toward your social security.

The best thing you can do is to prepare at least the last 6 years tax returns.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.