Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Can my wife who qualifies /2 my benefit begin taking social

Customer Question

can my wife who qualifies for 1/2 my benefit begin taking social security before I take mine. I want to wait until age 70 but want her to be able to begin benefits at age 66- her retirement age.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if you are at least your full retirement age (FRA) yourself, you can "file and suspend" your retirement benefit so that it triggers HER eligibility for spousal benefit while allowing you to delay taking your own til 70 so you can increase your amount by 32%.

If you are UNDER your FRA, you can not suspend, so filing means you must take, thereby preventing you from delaying. So this will only work once you are FRA.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

ALERT: The law has changed as of a couple of days ago. If you would like to discuss after completing this post, please feel free to opt for the offered "additional service."

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional