How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29965
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im review ing mybennefits i went out with 62 retirement. How

Customer Question

Im review ing mybennefits i went out with 62 retirement. How much less would u get if i receive my husbands
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

Regardless if you will receive social security benefits based on your own or your spouse's working record - if you start BEFORE your full retirement age - your benefits will be reduced.

If your year of birth is 1953 and you are 62 now - your full retirement age is 66

At that age - your are entitled for FULL benefits based on your earning record OR 50% of your spouse's benefits.
If you start benefits at age 62 - benefits based on YOUR earning record will be reduced by 25%, but benefits based on your spouse's earning record will be reduced by 30%
See here