How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American citizen born in USA. I have been living and

Customer Question

I am an American citizen born in USA. I have been living and working in New Zealand for the last 22 years. I am now 66 and can apply for my retirement benefits. I however have
never filed USA tax returns as I am well uner the 80k I understood was needed to have to apply. I now understand that this might have changed. Will I still be able to receive my retirement benefits in New Zealand?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question - as an American citizen you should be filing taxes regardless -- even if your tax is exempt from taxation under a tax treaty or the foreign earned income exclusion.

Regardless, you can still collect social security benefits available to you even though you are living abroad. Not filing your taxes or living abroad won't stop it as you are a citizen

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.