How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3802
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband just passed away on October 6th. I know I am

Customer Question

My husband just passed away on October 6th. I know I am suppose to receive his Social Security. I also receive SS. How am I to proceed with this situation.
Phyllis Johnstone
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

First, my deepest sympathy on the loss your husband.

The following is information from Social Security:

"Widows are due between 71 percent (at age 60) and 100 percent (at full retirement age) of what the husband was getting before he died. But we must pay your own retirement benefit first, then supplement it with whatever extra benefits you are due as a widow, to take your Social Security benefit up to the widow’s rate.  We also can pay you a $255 one-time death benefit if you were living with your husband when he died.  If you made more money than your husband, then he might be due a widower’s benefit on your record if you die before he does. "

Please note that if you’re due two benefits, you get the one that pays the higher rate, not both.

My best advice is to call Social Security or visit your local Social Security office, and advise them of your husband's passing. They will let you know if your social security payment will be supplemented by your husband's, or if your payment is the higher rate.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,