Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Receiving disability SS yrs. Age 62. Just started receiving

Customer Question

Receiving disability SS for 20 yrs. Age 62. Just started receiving reduced spousal benefits. Husband is 73 and still working. Would it be better to file (I understand it is a one time only filing) and return reduced benefit amount (received 4 months at 250$ per month) and continue with SSD without spousal reduced benefit until my full retirement benefits kick in? My understanding is that at age 66 I will be transferred to regular social security (and will receive the amount of approx. $1000 per month, which is what I receive now) PLUS half of my husbands SS pension, which would be approx. $700 - thus my monthly increase would be roughly $450 more instead of the $200 that I receive now. Thank you for your kind assistance.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, with regard to your post:

"Receiving disability SS for 20 yrs. Age 62. Just started receiving reduced spousal benefits. ------- Are you saying you switched from SSDIB on your own record, to a reduced spousal, because it was higher and you could?

"Husband is 73 and still working. Would it be better to file (I understand it is a one time only filing) and return reduced benefit amount (received 4 months at 250$ per month) and continue with SSD without spousal reduced benefit until my full retirement benefits kick in? -------- What is your amount NOW? I think you are saying your reduced spousal is $250/mo, which is quite low.

My understanding is that at age 66 I will be transferred to regular social security (and will receive the amount of approx. $1000 per month, which is what I receive now) ------- If you WAIT, you get to keep the full amount you are getting now and NOT suffer a permanent reduction that you mention. But what is unclear to me: Your spousal is only $250? The are supposed to give you the higher of the two, your own vs. spousal. Why did they switch you?

"PLUS half of my husbands SS pension, which would be approx. $700 -------- What pension? I assume you are not meaning SS??? Doe she have a private pension? If i is SS, you do NOT get both, only the highest of the two.

"- thus my monthly increase would be roughly $450 more instead of the $200 that I receive now. Thank you for your kind assistance." I need some clarification. See above. Thanks, ***** ***** forward to assisting you.

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional