How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4515
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married years and was told that I would be able to get

Customer Question

I was married for 19 years and was told that I would be able to get the same amount as my ex spouse for retirement. How would I go about this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

You do not get 100% of your ex husband's benefit from social security. You can get up to 50% if that is more than your own benefit, but not 100%.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Applying for a divorce benefit is best done at an SSA office. They can review your records, and that of your ex, and calculate the value of the benefit under different scenarios.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated

I'm PDtax.