LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I turned 62 in september of this year. i am retiring the end

Customer Question

i turned 62 in september of this year. i am retiring the end of october of this year. i went to the ss office and they said it looked like my benefits would not start until july of next year cause of my working this year. does this seem correct?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you just completing the required 40 credits of employment for social security this year? Or have you already worked 10 years or more and have already accumulated all the quarter credits that you need to retire?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Are you agreeable to accepting the nominal additional charge for me to call you? I have to tell you that this is much more complex that you think it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have worked all of my adult life and I have the credits needed to retire
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for that information.

I think that perhaps the worker at the social security office didn't explain well what they meant.

As you are already 62, you are free to retire anytime that you want to and you will get your benefits. However, because the income that you earned this year will not be known to social security until next year, your full benefit---including the additional benefit for earnings you made in 2015, will not be paid to you until the middle of next year.

Essentially, you will get about 95% of your age 62 benefit as soon as you ask for your benefit to begin and then in 2016 when they see what you earned in 2015, your benefit will be raised to account for the income earned in 2015.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in november should i get a check. i do know i have been approved for ss.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean you know you have been approved? When did you apply for your benefits?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I applied in September 7 of this year and told them I was retiring Oct. 30. I did receive a letter.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

The probably took that to mean that you want your benefits to start after you retire the end of October. They will start your benefits in November. However, be cayuse all retirement benefits are paid a month in arrears you will not actually receive your November benefit payment until December, on either the second, third or fourth Wednesday of the month---depending on the day of your birth.

Social Security benefits are generally paid on the second Wednesday if the number holder was born within the first 10 days of a month, the third Wednesday if born within the 11-20th days and on the fourth Wednesday if born within the 21-31st days.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug