How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently am receiving social security under my husband. I

Customer Question

I currently am receiving social security under my husband. I am fully retiring at the end of the month and wondering if it would be more beneficial for me to start taking benefits under my own account. I am 68 years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

That is something which depends on your income over the years.Social Security uses your highest 35 years of earnings to determine your benefit. Since they are the only ones with all that information and since they have a benefit estimator, I recommend that you go to their web site and use that retirement benefit estimator. The web site is and the use of the estimator is free. Remember that you are entitled to 100% of your own benefit or 1/2 your spouse's benefit whichever is larger.

Having made that determination you will then be able to apply, if needed, for your own benefit right there at the web site. They could work out the scenario for you when you called but probably found it cumbersome or just did not know this simple information.

Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

Have you had the opportunity to use the web site I referenced for you?