How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15747
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 62 years old and my husband of more than 30 years is

Customer Question

I am 62 years old and my husband of more than 30 years is now collecting social security. I continue to work as a public school teacher and have Calpers retirement benefits, not social security benefits. Am I entitled to spousal social security benefits?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.


If you receive a pension from a government job in which you did not pay Social Security taxes, some or all of your Social Security spouse's, widow's or widower's benefit may be offset due to receipt of that pension. This offset is referred to as the Government Pension Offset, or GPO.

You may apply for spousal benefits but the GPO will reduce the amount of your Social Security spouse's benefits by two-thirds of the amount of your government pension.

If you need additional information about the benefit, please read the "When won't my Social Security benefits be reduced?" section of the "" factsheet.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.