How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and i got a divorce after about 22 yrs of

Customer Question

My husband and i got a divorce after about 22 yrs of marriage. I retired early just before turning 66. So can i get spousal SS along with my SS i get from him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, and sorry to hear about your divorce.

Unfortunately you can only get one benefit - 1/2 of his benefit (which doesn't reduce what he gets, it's just an amount that they pay you) or your full benefit -- you would choose what is higher. You can't get both.

I wish I had better news for you. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Related Social Security Questions