How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get survivor social security benefits dependent

Customer Question

Can I get survivor social security benefits for my dependent grandson from my husbands SS? One parent is dead, the other is absent. We had legal guardianship. He has been with us since birth
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

Is he collecting a dependent survivor benefit off of his parent that is deceased?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he is not-his father was young, 19 when he died and did not have enough work credits for SS-he has been with us since he was 7 month old, when his mother disappeared. He relies on us for his total support.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is 15 years old now
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

Ouch, OK, until you adopt him, he is not your legal child and he will not count as one for auxiliary benefit reasons. If you adopted him now, and you yourself have an SS work record that you have filed for (even if you are collecting survivor benefit on your spouse's record), he could collect under your record (up to 50% of your primary insurance amount) until he is 18.

The expectation, however unreasonable at times, or ineffective or impractical, is that the living parent be obligated to provide child support and that the custodial guardian file a motion for such child support to hold that remiss parent responsible.

That all said, if you could adopt your grandson, IF you yourself have a work record and can file for retirement etc., that is an idea to consider. Family adoptions are often quite quick, so it may be worth it.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!


StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional