dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife and I have been married years. My wife is a native

Customer Question

My wife and I have been married for 28 years. My wife is a native Filipino of Cebu City Philippines. We have lived here since 1999. I am a US citizen 86 years old. I have been receiving benefits since 1991 at age 62.I was living here when I filed for my benefits. My wife is 60 years old and we both lived together in Detroit, Mich. for 6 years. Is my wife entitled to social security spousal benefits when I die? also does she have the right to apply in the US ? I was living In Cebu and sent my request to Baltimore, Maryland can sh do the same?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

Your wife can apply for benefits under your account once she reaches 62 years old. This will not reduce your benefits. Her benefit will be 1/2 yours or a benefit based on her US earnings record if she has one.

When you pass she will be entitled to spousal benefits which will be what benefit you are receiving at that time. However, she cannot receive spousal benefits and her own. There is also a one time death benefit available to a surviving spouse. It is not much ($255) but should not be overlooked.

The benefit application process can be handled at any Social Security Administration office or on line at www.ssa.gov