Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife of 65 years, Joan D. Crocker, S/S # 294-28-7699,

Customer Question

My wife of 65 years, Joan D. Crocker, S/S ####-##-#### ***** of massive stroke last month. Her check was $1,421.00 per mo; mine 855.00. Been trying to contact S/S for weeks via phone; I'm just put on hold forever, never reaching anyone. HELP!
William E. Crocker, S/S ####-##-####***** Moreno Valley, CA###-##-#### *****(###) ###-#### ********@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mr Crocker

...

My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

First, lets start with what Social Security SAYS in their infomation about survivors benefits

...

"If you’re getting benefits based on your own work, call or visit us. We’ll check to see if you can get more money as a widow or widower. If so, you’ll get a combination of benefits that equals the higher amount. You must complete an application to switch to survivors benefits. We also need to see your spouse’s death certificate"

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

My experience with Social Security is that youmust either call to set an appointment (OR if you can't get through at all, go down TO the office - but even then be ready to do nthing moe than set that appointment)

...

Here's the closest office to you
...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

22815 CALLE SAN JUAN
DE LOS LAGOS
MORENO VALLEY, CA 92553

Phone:1-***-***-****

TTY:1-***-***-****

Hours:

Monday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tuesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Thursday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

SaturdayClosed

SundayClosed

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

The office is a fairly straight shot across cactus avenue, about 6 to 7 miles away from you

Here are the specific directions from Googls Maps

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

A

***** Moreno Valley, CA 92555
  • Depart Highpoint Ave towardLookout Way

• Private Road
  • 106 ft

Turn right onto Lookout Way, and then immediately turn left ontoCactus Ave

Pass Jack in the Box on the right in 0.7 mi
    • Private Road
    • Unpaved Road
  • 6.0 mi

Turn right onto Veterans Way

• 0.3 mi

Turn right onto Production Way

• 491 ft

Road name changes to Calle San Juan de los Lagos

• 185 ft

Arrive at 22815 Calle San Juan de los Lagos, Moreno Valley, CA 92553

The last intersection is Production WayIf you reach Frederick St, you've gone too far
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

If you'd rather not drive maybe you could have someone drive you?

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

This is really the most efficient way to get this done (once your are at your appointment - again, may take some patient phone waiting OR going once to set the appointment and then going again TO the appointment)...

...

Becasue AT the appointment they will see if you would get a higher benefit, and gethe application filed for you

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

As you may know, there's a family maximum so you won't get 100% of your wifw benefit plau 100% of yours BUT you should be able to get more based on the family maximum between 150 and 180 percent of the deceased worker’s benefit amount.

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I'm giong to make what's called an additional services offer here so that we can discuss this over the phone if you'd like

..

Only accept if you'd like to discuss

...

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

P.S.

...

I'm going to paste in here (below) the information from Social Security about applying for Survivors benefits (nothing different really from what I've told you) ... but wanted you to see everything

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors benefits online.

Social Security should be notified as soon as possible when a person dies.

In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. You should give the funeral home the deceased person’s Social Security number if you want them to make the report.

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to speak to someone.

What will happen when I report a death?

• If you are getting benefits on your spouse's or parent's record:
    • You generally will not need to file an application for survivors’ benefits.
    • We'll automatically change any monthly benefits you receive to survivor benefits after we receive the report of death.
    • We may be able to pay the Special Lump-Sum Death Payment automatically.
  • If you are getting retirement or disability benefits on your own record:
    • You will need to apply for the survivor benefits.
    • We will check to see whether you can get a higher benefit as a widow or widower.
  • If you are not getting benefits, you should apply for survivor benefits promptly because, in some cases, benefits may not be retroactive.

What documents do I need when I apply?

Please select the benefit you will be applying for from the list below to see what information and documents you may need when you apply:

If you don't have all the documents you need, don't delay signing up for Social Security.

In many cases, your local Social Security office can contact your state Bureau of Vital Statistics and verify your information online at no cost to you. If we can't verify your information online, we can still help you get the information you need.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

If this HAS helped, (and you don’t have additional questions on this), I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … … That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.

...

But again, please let me know if you need more here ....

...

Thank you,

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Mr. Crocker

...

Did you see my answer?

...

Can I help you further in this?

...

Let me know

...

Lane

..