How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13521
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At present I am drawing my social security. After recovery

Customer Question

At present I am drawing my social security for retirement. After recovery from last heart surgery I was told I would not be able to return to work force. Even on a desk job for medical reasons. I wanted to work again. Do I apply for disability benefits now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

How old are you please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
67 will be 68 on Nov 30th
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. OK, no, you can not draw disability because disability is merely early retirement without the early retirement "penalty" - that people can take if they are under full retirement age but can't work due to disability, so they don't have to wait TIL their full retirement age to get it (and starve in the meantime). In your case, you are already getting your SS benefit, so there is nothing else to get. It is either disability (under FRA) or retirement (over FRA).

As an aside, it is unclear if your doctor meant you can not do anything easy, full time, or if they are saying you are bedridden and really can't do anything. But if not the latter, consider looking into the possibility of part time gentle work you enjoy, that can also help you supplement your SS, at least for now.

If you could earn a survivable income, or otherwise get by, you could suspend your SS benefits til 70 and succeed in increasing your benefit by 16% (8% per year) by age 70, at which point you would start up collecting your benefits again.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!


StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

Related Social Security Questions