How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4522
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents are 88 and 89, someone told me that my mother can

Customer Question

My parents are 88 and 89, someone told me that my mother can apply for 50% of my fathers s.s. benefits even though he is still living and receiveing his social security.She also is receiving social security. Is this correct?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

It is true, but the total benefit for Mom would cap at 50% of Dad's. If his benefit was $2,000, and hers on her work record $800, she might get an additional $200 per month to get to 50% of his.

Best to go to a local SSA office to review the records and apply if there's a benefit.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.