Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Can I get social security benefits 7 year old child if s

Customer Question

Can I get social security benefits for my 7 year old child if his natural father is deceased but he is not listed on birth certificate. My child has 3 half siblings and his father's natural mother is still alive.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you can if you can prove the parentage. You will want to prove the parentage as per SS rules, which typically follow your state's rules for determining parentage for inheritance purposes, and the like. I would go to your local SSA office and allow them to guide you as to the easiest legally acceptable proof of parentage they will accept from you. And do it fast, because the retro benefits will not go back more than a few month from the time you apply. It might even be best to apply even without full proof if it means you can appeal any denial, and the appeal, when one, may go back to your date of application. Every month you don't apply could mean a month of benefits lost permanently.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional