How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3173
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I get full benefits at 66. If I take social security at 65,

Customer Question

I get full benefits at 66. If I take social security at 65, can I later suspend social security for a year so I would get the full benefit I would have gotten at 66?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It depends on your full retirement age. If your full retirement age is 65 (you were born before 1942) than yes, you can do that. However if you were born in or after 1943, than your full retirement age is 66 and the answer would be no. You can apply and suspend your retirement benefits when you reach your full retirement age.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.