How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Daughter is Handicapped, she is now receiving SSI

Customer Question

My Daughter is Handicapped, she is now receiving SSI ($730.00 A month) her father is retired and has not contributed a lot to her support most of her life, can she collect from his social security benefits ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Your daughter can get a benefit off the father if he is currently drawing social security. I assume he is since you say he's retired --- however, if he has not yet applied for social security benefits then she would not be eligible until that time.

If you don't know, you can always call your local office and give them her father's information and see if she's eligible for more benefits.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.