How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29963
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 54 and on ss disability. My sister would like to pay me

Customer Question

I am 54 and on ss disability. My sister would like to pay me about $1,000 monthly to watch her autistic child but I am not sure about SSDI income limitations. I have read a disabled person receiving SSDI cannot earn more than $1,090 per month by working
however I have also heard that the SSA considers any month where a person has a monthly income of more than $780 a trial work month. Do you know which amount is correct? Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 2 years ago.

The information you have is correct.
First of all - that payment is legally considered your income and must be reported on your tax return.
Second - for social security purposes - the law defines disability as the inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity (SGA) by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment(s) which can be expected to result in death or which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.

A person who is earning more than a certain monthly amount (net of impairment-related work expenses) is ordinarily considered to be engaging in SGA. The amount of monthly earnings considered as SGA depends on the nature of a person's disability.

If you are working in 2015 and your earnings average more than $1,090 a month, you generally cannot be considered disabled.
So if you indeed working and earn a money - that MUST be reported to the Social Security Administration and might jeopardize your disability status.

    Expert:  lev-tax replied 2 years ago.

    Earnings trigger a trial work period
    During a trial work period, a beneficiary receiving Social Security disability benefits may test his or her ability to work and still be considered disabled. We do not consider services performed during the trial work period as showing that the disability has ended until services have been performed in at least 9 months (not necessarily consecutive) in a rolling 60-month period. In 2014, any month in which earnings exceed $770 is considered a month of services for an individual's trial work period. In 2015, this monthly amount increases to $780.

    So far - both amounts are correct and related to different limitations.

    Expert:  lev-tax replied 2 years ago.

    Does that answer your question?

    I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

    Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

    If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

    I am here to help you will all tax related issues.