Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Considering applying citizenship will this affect my current

Customer Question

considering applying for duel citizenship will this affect my current social security benefitsa
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Your current U.S. social security benefits will be affected by dual citizenship if you suddenly receive an additional retirement benefit from your new citizenship. This may reduce your SSA benefit (depending on Social Security agreements). For example, even if you are entitled for full maximum benefit in both countries, you will most likely not get more than the higher maximum of the two amounts, the rest is considered a "Windfall" for the U.S. government. For example, if the maximum benefits in the Philippines is $1200/month and your U.S. benefit is $1400/month, and if you are entitled to all of it under both systems ($2600), U.S. Social Security will cut your payments to $200. You will then receive the $1200/month from the Philippines and $200 from the U.S. The remaining $1200 is a windfall for the U.S.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for my answer and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.

Best regards,

Barb