Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

If patient dies on Sept 1and SS CHECK is issued on the 3rd

Customer Question
of Sept, does this check...
If patient dies on Sept 1and SS CHECK is issued on the 3rd of Sept, does this check have to be returned to SS???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
9/29/2015
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is this a retirement benefit you are referring to?

Doug

Ss check

Thanks for the additional information.

Because social security always pays retirement benefits in arrears, that means that a payment arriving on the third of one month is actually the benefit for the previous month. So if a recipient passes away on the first of September, for example, the payment received on the third of September is actually for August and that payment does not need to be returned to social security.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Person already on Social Security got the check on the 3rd but died on the 1st of the same month. Do they have to return the check on the 3rd??

Good afternoon,

I apologize if I was not clear enough.

As I tried to explain, no, the check received on the 3rd does not have to be returned. That is because the check received on the third was for the previous month when the patient was still alive. As long as they lived through the entire month, they were entitled to the benefit that would be paid the next month on the third.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney