How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask retirementlawyer Your Own Question
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 17236
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
retirementlawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I understand that since my husband died September 13 may

Customer Question

I understand that since my husband died September 13 may receive his monthly amount which is more than mine . How do I apply for this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 1 year ago.

As a widow, you would be entitled to a benefit that would be equal to his full amount, you can apply through the social security website,

Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 1 year ago.

These are examples of monthly benefit payments:

  • Widow or widower, full retirement age or older --100 percent of your benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60 to full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of your basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower, age 50 through 59 -- 71½ percent;
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 1 year ago.

If you need to report a death or apply for benefits, call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday. You can also contact your local Social Security office., applying through a phone call is possible.