How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions, experienced business attorney.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorved and my ex husband is still working we were

Customer Question

I am divorved and my ex husband is still working we were married for 27 yrs my ? is can I collect his SS when I turn 62 even if he is still working and has not started collecting his SS
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Hi, you absolutely can collect his Social Security since the benefits are not related to his retirement but yours. In other words, if he obtained enough credits, and as you were married long enough to qualify, you can seek benefits based on his eligibility. Doing so will not affect his retirement or his amount, but as you would be pursuing benefits early, your benefit would be lowered because you wouldn't be retiring at full retirement age.


Dimitry, Esq.