How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My SSD check is about $1400 gross and I live in expensive

Customer Question

My SSD check is about $1400 gross and I live in expensive NYC I have not yet been billed for taxes. I also wonder if I might get garnished for student loans.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

If that is social security disability income - and that is your ONLY income - none is taxable and generally - you are NOT required to file the tax return.
Yes - you may apply for the student financial aid and might qualify for government subsidized student loan.
Here is where you need to start application
If you have difficulties - you may communicate with the counselor in the school you are planning to attend.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

In additional - if you defaulted on the student loan - your social security disability income may be levied.
However - if may inform the student loan administrator and either negotiate the payment plan OR you may apply for the student loan to be discharges.
That is possible if you are disabled.