How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15711
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife, a school teacher in Maryland passed several years

Customer Question

My wife, a school teacher in Maryland passed several years ago from cancer. I remarried
but never thought to pursue what benefits I am entitled to receive. What forms must I use to apply and what documents (death certificate, years of employment as a teacher, etc) to apply. Thanks in advance.
Harvey Rosenfeld
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.


If you are asking about the beneficiary payments from the Maryland State Retirement based on your previous spouse's account then you would need to contact the state directly.

If you have unclaimed funds with the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System that you wish to confirm, please call a Retirement Benefits Specialist at(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####

After verification with a Retirement Benefits Specialist, you can claim your funds by completing and submitting an Application for Withdraw of Accumulated Contributions (Form 5).

If contributions are not withdrawn within four (4) years, they are considered abandoned and no longer accrue interest.

These funds, however, may be claimed at any time by the former member, or his/her beneficiary or estate. If your previous spouse was in the PRINCE GEORGES CO PUBLIC SCHOOLS then you would wish to contact using the number I provided. I looked at the unclaimed list and there were 2 persons listed under Rosenfeld

Death Certificate will be needed.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.