How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions, experienced business attorney.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I suspend my benefits and draw a spousal from my

Customer Question

can I suspend my benefits and draw a spousal from my husband? If I received half of his benefit it would be more than I receive now.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

You can ALWAYS pick and choose which benefit to receive. You are entitled to the higher of either 100% of your benefit, or 50% of the maximum that your spouse receives, and you can change it at any time. If your local office is somewhat clueless, file online or call them to get this changed. To get started go to and contact them directly--you can most definitely seek the higher amount.


Dimitry, Esq.