How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question is regarding survivor benefits Granddaughter. My

Customer Question

Question is regarding survivor benefits for my Granddaughter.
My Granddaughter just turned twelve and is receiving survivor benefits of $400 each month. This is based on her Mothers (my Daughter) limited Social Security benefit.. My Daughter passed away in Feb 2015. Prior to her death, we as Grandparents were appointed legal Guardianship. My Granddaughter’s Father has been gone and out of her life for the last 7 years.
I’m 68 years old and will be retiring at the end of the year (2015). My Social Security monthly payment will be $2500 each month.
My question is….Could my Granddaughters monthly benefit be based off of my i SS benefit rather than the limited amount based off of my Daughter’s benefit ?
Jack L.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.


The SSA has a new word for our changing situations, GRANDFAMILIES

Children living in grandfamilies can be eligible for the child benefit through their parents or grandparents.

Some children in grandfamilies may qualify for grandchild benefits. Individual cases vary and families should contact the Social Security Administration to see if a particular child is eligible but generally the following conditions must apply:

• The biological parents of the child are deceased or disabled, or the grandchild must be legally adopted by the grandparent.

•The child is not receiving benefits from a parent when the grandparent retires, becomes disabled, or dies.

• The natural parent(s) of the child is not be making regular contributions to the child’s support.

• The child is unmarried and under 18 or up to 19 if attending school full time.

• The grandchild began living with grandparents before age 18 and received at least one half of support from the grandparent for the year before the month grandparents become entitled.

On the surface it appears your grandchild may not be eligible to apply under your SSI but you should seek a direct answer form SSA.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You didn't address my question.
She just started receiving survivor benefits based on her dead mothers Social Security. I will retire next year. We have been raising her for the last 10 years. Mother was nowhere to be found.We are the legal guardian and have been for a few years.Can she in 2016 have her monthly benefit be based on My SS retirement. ?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately no, as she will be receiving benefits from her mother's record prior to your retirement, she would not qualify.