LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I will be 66 in April of 2016. I am looking forward to

Customer Question

I will be 66 in April of 2016. I am looking forward to collecting my full retirement benefit while continuing to work. My wife collects from her partial age 62 benefit.
Question; When I file for my benefits in Jan and start collecting in April, would my wife be entitled to 1/2 the amount I collect?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: When I file for my benefits in Jan and start collecting in April, would my wife be entitled to 1/2 the amount I collect? Yes, she will be entitled to switch yo a spouse benefit---but no it will not be 50%---but closer to 40% because she took her own benefit 4 years early. Let me explain.

Let’s say the wife’s Primary Insurance Amount (PIA) is $1,000. She files for her own benefit at 62 and receives a reduced retirement benefit of $750.

Her husband has a PIA of $2500. She is eligible to receive one-half of his PIA at her full retirement age. $2500 (his PIA); divided by two, that equals $1,250 (This is the full spouse’s rate). Social Security will subtract the $1250 (the full spouse’s rate) – $1000 (her PIA)= $250.

Social Security will add that $250 to her reduced retirement benefit amount of $750 and her new benefit amount at full retirement age will be $1,000, which is less than the full spouse’s rate.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug