How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12686
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I Will be working until age 70, presently i am 65. It's my

Customer Question

I Will be working until age 70, presently i am 65. It's my understanding that I can applied and suspend my benefit.....when i need proceed??? i still have 2 children, one was born in may2000 and one in october 2002, i understand that there are elegible until a certain age with some social benefit....can you tell me what and when? and what i need to do. thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.

That's right - If you've reached your, but are not yet age 70, you can ask Social Securityt to suspend retirement benefit payments.


If you and your current spouse are full retirement age, one of you can apply for retirement benefits now and have the payments suspended, while the other applies only for spouse's benefits ... This strategy allows both of you to delay receiving retirement benefits on your own records so you can get those delayed retirement cedits


And as you can see here...

Social Security says, "You do not have to sign your request to suspend benefit payments. You may ask us orally or in writing. "

Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.

The Social Security reps can help you explore your options. Give them a call at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****) or visit your local Social Security office if you have any additional questions.

Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.

Here's the Social Security Office locator:

Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.

Children's benefits exist only if the parent is disabled or dies


Your child can get benefits if he or she is your biological child, adopted child or dependent stepchild. (In some cases, your child also could be eligible for benefits on his or her grandparents’ earnings.) To get benefits, a child must have:

• A parent(s) who is disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits; or

• A parent who died after having worked long enough in a job where he or she paid Social Security taxes. The child also must be:

• Unmarried;

• Younger than age 18; • 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or

• 18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)