How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jonathan Tierney Your Own Question
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Jonathan Tierney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wondering about a friend who has been working here in the US

Customer Question

Wondering about a friend who has been working here in the US for 8 years and now has Ovarian cancer. She has paid into SS for 8 years. Would she be eligible for disability benefits from SS?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate answer possible.

As a general rule, you need ten years of work that is covered by Social Security, or 40 credits, to qualify for retirement and disability benefits. One year of work generally earns four credits. However, when qualifying for disability, younger workers can qualify will less time working. You can see this chart to see how many credits your friend would need based upon her age:

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions. Thanks, Jonathan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much. That was helpful
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 2 years ago.

I'm always happy to help. Thanks, Jonathan