How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A letter was received stating that benefits death benefit

Customer Question

A letter was received stating that benefits for a death benefit will be stopped for a widow even though the benefits are for children? What causes this and what can be done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question --- the benefits for the children continue until the children are 18, or 19 if they are still in high school. However, if a parent is getting benefits off a deceased spouse then those benefits stop when the children reach 16. The issue is that once a kid is 16 the government looks at it like the surviving parent should be able to work and the 16 year old should be able to mind themselves while the parents work. This is waived if the child is disabled.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are two children and one is under 16. No mention was made in the letter as to the reason was a child being 16. Mp reason was given at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No reason was given.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

If one child is 18, then it could stop for that reason. If no reason was given you can call 1-***-***-**** or visit your local office. I would actually suggest visiting your local office because you will sit down with someone and they can't really brush you off like they do on the phone. However, I don't have access to your records. My guess is that it's related to one of the children's age.

Also, be sure that you are sending in the annual representative payee reports --- you have to report to social security how those benefits are used! They will send you a form each year. If you do not return this then they can suspend benefits until you send it back.