LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was married to my previous husband yrs. All tax returns

Customer Question

i was married to my previous husband for 27 yrs. All tax returns were filed jointly. In a very stupid mode, i remarried my current spouse. i then found out i was no longer for my previous spouses ss benefits. as i under stand it, if i could secure a anullment
from my current spouse, i would re qualify for the ss benefits due me from the 1st marriage. would that be the case in a simple divorce. their are no children or community property to complicate matters.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you divorce your present spouse, or if the re-marriage is annulled, you will then qualify for an ex-spouse social security retirement benefit on your first spouse--so long as you were married at least 10 years to them, so long as they are at least 62 years old at the time you apply and so long as your divorce from them is at least 2 years old.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug