How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13566
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I receive social security benefits from my ex-husband if

Customer Question

Can I receive social security benefits from my ex-husband if I have a retirement income from my previous employer as a teacher in Ohio? am 75 years old.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

Please provide more details:

Were you working for the STATE of OH has a teacher, or for a private school?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was working for the public schools in Youngstown, Ohio when I retired.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

OK, If you are otherwise eligible, (i.e. marriage at least 10 years, etc.) you can apply for a divorced spouse benefit. However, because SS benefits do not allow us to take 2 full benefit amounts when it is government benefits involved (if we didn't pay for both ourselves), you will likely be subject to the GPO (Government Pension Offset). This typically means that your SS dependent benefit (i.e. divorced spouse benefit) will be reduced by 2/3 of your teacher's pension. Often, unfortunately, that means it will be wiped out. But it is worth checking into, certainly, at your local SSA office. (Note that this same ban on double benefits applies to those that don't have teachers' pension or other government agency benefits as well, just regular people who have their own work record SS benefit - they are not allowed to collect a spousal benefit or divorced spousal benefit on top of that either - they give up one or other.)

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!