How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I get ss benefits from my ex spouse? He has retired

Customer Question

can I get ss benefits from my ex spouse?
He has retired years ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you can receive benefits based on his account if you satisfy ALL the following conditions:

1.You must have been married for at least 10 years.

2.You must NOT have remarried prior to attaining age 60.

3.You must be at least 62 years old.

4.You must be able to prove all these conditions have been met.

If this is you please go to the nearest Social Security Administration office with the following materials:

1.Photo ID for yourself

2.Your Social Security card

3.His Social Security number

4. Proof of when you were married and divorced

5. Your birth certificate.

You will then be entitled to a benefit based on the higher of 1/2 his benefit or a benefit based on your own earnings record. Payments can also be made retroactively but only for a period not to exceed 6 months. You can locate an SSA office near you at