How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was advised that I could get my SS benefits at a maximum

Customer Question

I was advised that I could get my SS benefits at a maximum payout when I turn age 70 next year. I currently draw from my deceased wife's account, but was advised that I could switch to MY account at age 70 and receive my maximum benefit.
Is this true??
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

YES! An advantage of survivor benefits is that they do not count as "collecting early" when it comes to reducing your own benefit due to collecting the SS benefit before full retirement age.Thus, if one collects a survivor benefit, even as early as age 60, his OWN benefit continues to grow to his Primary Insurance Amount (that is the amount he would collect if he took right at his full retirement age) and if he continues to delay taking his own benefit after that, it grows 8% per year beyond his PIA, through age 70. Thus, whatever your PIA is, you can switch to your own benefit at 70, and it will be 32% greater than your PIA (and what it would have been had you taken it at 66).

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had theopportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!


StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ms Joy, you answered my query thoroughly and completely!
I have no further questions. I rate you excellent. Thank you.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 2 years ago.

Thanks much! Do you see a rating box of some kind?