How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter, Bryanna Suzanne Scholes, DOB 9/02/1997,

Customer Question

My daughter, Bryanna Suzanne Scholes, DOB 9/02/1997,###-##-#### ***** out on her birthday when she turned 18. She quit school and moved in with a 23 year old male and his family. I need to discontinue her SS which she was receiving being a dependent of her father, ***** ***** Scholes DOB 6/24/1943 and myself Susan T. Scholes, DOB 9/23/1948 both retired. Since giving her a check of over $900.00 will allow her to continue as a high school drop-out instead of a dependent on my husband and I. I do not know where she except what I explained previously I also need to discontinue her medicaid. The availability of that amount of cash, will assist her in continuing her downward spiral
Susan Scholes ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon Susan,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under social security regulations, your daughter is only entitled to the child benefit if she remains in high school and until age 19. As soon as she turns 18 if she is no longer in school she loses her eligibility for the social security benefit.

In order to discontinue her benefit you will need to either call social security at 1-***-***-****, or go to the local social security office and inform them of these changes in circumstance. They will immediately terminate her eligibility. If you are not having any luck in calling social security, then you should go to the local office. All social security can do now, because your daughter is over 18, is to take the information from you and investigate the fraud that your daughter is engaged in if she is still receiving benefits. She will eventually get caught and she will have to pay back any monies paid to her after she dropped out of school.

As for making a notification of the change of circumstances to Medicaid, if you know who the case worker is on the Medicaid benefit, you should contact them. If you do not know then you will need to contact the department of health or department of human services in your state to notify them

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,