How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4475
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my benefits are much less then my husbands (due to being

Customer Question

if my benefits are much less then my husbands (due to being unemployed as I raised three children at home, should my ss benefits be based on a percentage of my husband's rather than my own earnings?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

When it is time for you to claim benefits, you will be eligible for spousal benefits based on your husband's work history. This is a 'free' benefit to you, since it does not reduce his benefit at all. If at full retirement, he receives a $2,000 per month benefit, you could, at full retirement, be eligible for a $1,000 per month benefit for you.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

You have to apply for spousal benefits, and otherwise qualify (length of marriage and some other qualifications). is a link to the SSA introductory web page about spousal benefits.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.