Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

At the time I retired - middle '90's I think - I returned 4

Customer Question
or 5 disability checks I...
At the time I retired - middle '90's I think - I returned 4 or 5 disability checks I hadn't cashed. The local Social Security office told me to hold onto them.
A different Social Security rep accepted them, and said that someone would find out if my records had been adjusted to show they had or had not been cashed. She figured out I could pay back the money at $300 per month withheld from my retirement check for 3 or 4 years. I never heard back. I did receive my retirement checks, though.
How can I check to see if they handled my situation correctly? It would have been right for an official letter letting me know what they found out. And I would like to know why I paid $300 per month if they weren't cashed, and when was the debt paid off? At that time did my check increase by $300?
That time was very turbulent; I was hit by a series of crises. I would feel better if I can get the answers to these questions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Social Security
9/8/2015
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 2 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, while I can't tell you what happened because I was not there and am not the SSA (I am a lawyer does does SS law work), I can try to delve in further to see what needed facts you can provide that are not included in your post, and we can possibly get to the answer or if not, discuss how you may learn of it. Let me know if you wish to continue, OK?

Sincerely,

Stephanie Joy

Do you know if there is an SS office in charge of records/histories of individuals? I was hoping to find it on line, but I don't know how. Maybe there is a phone number I could call. Thanks. Cynthia

All local offices have all the same access to your total SS file, so that is where you can start. If they are choosing not to be helpful, as they sometimes do when something is unusual or inconvenient, you can then contact your Congressperson, explain what SS information you sought about yourself, of your local SSA office, that they would not be of assistance at all, and could he please perform a "Congressional Inquiry" as to that office's refusal to help. (I use the congressional inquiry method as needed and it has never failed.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had theopportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional

Stephanie O. Joy was very helpful with her suggestions on how to proceed with my concerns and I would not hesitate to ask her to assist me in the future if the need should arise. Thank you very much.

Hi Again, thank you so much for the kind words. If you could kindly now "rate" my service accordingly, it would be greatly appreciated, in order that the company provide me credit for my time.

Have a great week!

Sincerely,

Stephanie Joy

Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq