How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 19110
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband died when I was age 58 and employed. At age 60 I

Customer Question

My husband died when I was age 58 and employed. At age 60 I began receiving a SS based on his earnings. I just turned age 70. Would anything change if I applied on my own? He made quite a bit more than I did. My present check is 1055$ per month.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No. Nothing would really change since your benefits under your earnings would be smaller. So, Social Security Administration would pay you the combination of your benefits and his benefits that would result in you getting a higher benefits amount. You would not get both.

Related Social Security Questions