How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4621
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started receiving SS benefits at age 49 in 1988 due to 2

Customer Question

I started receiving SS benefits at age 49 in 1988 due to 2 strokes and not able to work anymore, I am now 66 years of age. My husband retired in 1998 at the age of 62 years
and started receiving SS benefits. My question is: Am I eligible for a raise under the
guidelines for spousal benefits or increase.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

SSD benefits are based on your work record, and applying for spousal benefits might get you a benefits increase. The easiest way to check is with a visit to your local SSA office, since the response will be immediate.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

From SSA:

If your spouse is already receiving benefits when you apply, or if you and your spouse apply at the same time, we will also check your eligibility for benefits as a spouse. If you qualify, your application will also automatically serve as a request for spousal benefits.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago. is the link to the web page I used for the contact information.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.